GSD HTML5 sounding change details
This page enumerates changes having to do with the HTML5 sounding
display. Here are changes related to the soundings themselves.
- 20-Oct-2016 (production and beta)
- Changed to work under either 'http' or 'https' protocols. Routine(s) changed: reply-setup.cgi,
ParameterGetterSetter, SoundingDisplay, sdg.SoundingLoader,
- 5-Apr-2016 (production and beta)
- Radiometer data from Radiometrics restored. Routine(s)
changed: NetCDF.pm installed on the rucsoundings web server (and
get_radio.cgi brought up-to-date).
- 24-Feb-2016 (production)
- All beta changes moved to production (with the
exception of soundings from the HRRR, due to the load they put on
- 23-Feb-2016 (beta)
- Fixed a very obscure error that caused the display to hang if
users chose both Tephigrams and the 0.5mb display.
- 19-Feb-2016 (beta)
- Add this parameter to the URL to turn off (nearly) all text and
links on the page except for the display itself:
- If you wish to not display each hourly sounding
in a time window, you can specify the Number of hours to
load as, e.g., 10,3. This will show the
soundings in a 10 hour time window, but for every third hour. So,
if you want to display GFS soundings every 12 hours for the next 5
days, you'd enter 120,12. Specifying a single number in
Number of hours to load will continue to attempt to
display a sounding for each hour in the time range.
- The button for the sounding currently displayed is shown with
- When you overlay multiple soundings (by holding down the shift key
as you click additional sounding buttons), the button text changes
color to (approximately) match the curves.
- 20 soundings buttons are now shown below the SkewT
plot. Previously there were 16 buttons.
- When sending up a parcel trajectory by clicking on the plot, you
can specify the dewpoint (as well as temperature and pressure) by
holding down the shift key while you click.
- There is a new option for Desired forecast projection
called Single-run. If this option is chosen, all
soundings within the time window will be taken from the model run
having an analysis time specified in the Start
date. (This is primarily for model developers. Users
interested in the most accurate soundings at each valid time
should coutinue to use Desired forecast projection =
- For the RAP and RAP_OPS_130, we now use the
Oprational RAP on the 130 grid, in netcdf format
(without hydrometeor information) for speed. Routine(s) changed: wrf_cdf_sdg.c,
- (beta site, and GSD computers only). We now allow soundings from the
GSD HRRR, but they take many seconds to come
up. Asking for too many of these soundings will put an
unacceptable load on our server. Routine(s)
changed: get_model_directory.pl, get_soundings.cgi.
- 18-Mar-2014 (production and beta)
- Model names can now be input directly in the calling web
page. Also (for the beta) site, soundings from retrospective and
other special-purpose model runs are avaliable.
- A bug was fixed involving pre 1970 times causing a crash.
- Code was added to bring up an alert box when uncaught exceptions
occur. This is turned off for production use.
- Routine(s) changed: Welcome.html -> Welcome.cgi,
SoundingDisplay, ParameterGetterSetter, sdg.LoadPanel.
- 12-Mar-2014 (production and beta)
- We now can optionally show hydrometeors (default for the beta
site) for those few models that provide them. Routine(s) changed: SoundingDisplay,
ParameterGetterSetter, sdg.SoundingCanvas, sdg.SkewTPlot.
- 18-Feb-2014 (production and beta)
- We now correctly pre-fill the contents of the 'Load Soundings'
window including the requested airport, start date, and 'latest'
check-box. Routine(s) changed:
- 6-Feb-2014 (production and beta)
- First production version. Added reading of
arguments in the query string. Also, we now only show the debug
window if the parameter "&debug=true" is included in the
query-string. Also, added a 'Loading' message to indicate when
we're waiting for new soundings to be downloaded. Routine(s) changed: SoundingDisplay,
Prepared by Bill Moninger,
Last modified: Thu Oct 20 21:12:23 GMT 2016